When you enter the green room you will find organizations throughout the years. Only a few are still in existence today – The Lions Club and The Betterment Committee
Oakfield Book Review Club
The Oakfield Book Review Club was organized March 21, 1900 at the home of Mrs. Otto English. The charter members were Edith Avery, Fern Avery, Grace Briggs, LuRene Calkens, Helen Chamberlain, Mrs. English, Helen Grinnell, Fanny Hoal, Florence Milliman, Anna Olmsted, Alice Parker, Georgia Rathbone, Mrs. Sweet and Mrs. Tanner. The first regular meeting was at the home of Fern Avery, where Dr. Warn had his office at 87 North Main Street.
The club always tried to be of benefit to Oakfield. Their goals were to further interest in reading and improve the general knowledge of the club members, as some of the women in the group were not able to finish their education. They learned about art and they learned French. During their bi-monthly meeting they had programs of reading and study. They had small dues and with those funds they did much to help the community and individuals with scholarships and numerous donations to needy organizations. Through their efforts the first Chautauqua course was brought to Oakfield; the first library was started (over the bank at the head of the stairs) beautification of Triangle Park, war work in the form of hand made articles sent to the soldiers during each war
These ladies brought us Triangle Park paying for the large fountain, cannon, WWI Memorial Stone which formally opened on September 7, 1921 the Daily News reported “Oakfield’s new park is formally opened.” The village park opening on Labor Day was one of the happiest events in the history of Oakfield. At 6:00 AM the flag was raised with bugle call and at 6:00 PM it was lowered by a squad from the Hiram G. Luhman post, followed by a selection by the U.S.G. band. After a parade by members of the post in uniform with music by the band the more formal program was presented with J.S. Morrow as chairman.
The Odd Fellows Temple was built November 16, 1899 on Main Street. It consisted of a two story structure with a meeting room on the second floor. One of the best lighted and electrically equipped lodge rooms in Western, NY. The ante rooms and parlor are equipped with (2) 6 light chandeliers while the main hall has 32 radiant bulbs of electrical that will project from a picture molding around the sides of the room producing a wonderful illuminated effect. The wire of these lights will be concealed within the picture molding made up of 5 pieces designed for this work.
There is also a cluster of lights in the attic over the mail hall whose rays will be reflected down through a round glass circle in the ceiling give a peculiarly beautiful effect. Light will also be reflected through three front windows at the tops of the building on which will be the initials and emblems of the order. The different lights and circuits and other electrical apparatus used by the lodge in its secret work, will be controlled from a main switchboard in a convenient location in the room. The cost of the new lodge is $5,000.00
(I.O.O.B.) is a veterans’ social club founded during World War II, Fred Kibbe, Archbastard I, was in the Army in Brisbane, Australia. Along with other officers there on active duty, the evening hours were often spent in hospitable hours of inhaling spirits and good fellowship. Along the way, the guys started using the endearing salutation. It is a no-profit group with no fees or assessments, it is a no-political group and bars no faith. It is dedicated to good fellowship. Membership is by card only.
Today, there are many groups operating under the name “Old Bastards” across North America and Australia, existing under varying jurisdictional authorities (or none at all). IOOB migrated too Ft Lauderdale, Florida in 1946 and new chapters were opened all over the country.
Oakfield Chapter #370, was started in 1946, but did not receive a charter until December 8, 1966. On December 28, 1966, it was decided to include the gals, therefore on Chapter 370 ½ was formed and were known as the bastardettes.
Meetings were held once a month at the Oakfield Hotel. Special yearly events included, auctions, clambakes along with Halloween and Christmas parties.
Charter members of Chapter #370 were John, Scopano, Clair Cupler, Ben Desimone, Bob Lyons and James Haent.
Next you will find the Oakfield Swordsman
The Lions Club
One of the few organizations left in Oakfield. They do a lot for the poor of the community. They sponsor scholarships at OACS. They help Betterment Committee by bringing Santa to the Christmas in the Village. They bring sunshine baskets to shut-ins.
Then you will find the Grange, Mothers Club and the Betterment Committee.
Hours of Operation
1:00 PM -3:00 PM
(Closed on holidays)Each year, we open the first Saturday in April and close the first Saturday in December.
|For a personal tour, please contact:
Please keep in mind we will need a few weeks notice.